Subject: Re: [PATCH v14 08/10] ptp: arm64: Enable ptp_kvm for arm64

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 12:33:22 +0100

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 10:27:42 +0100,
Jianyong Wu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Currently, there is no mechanism to keep time sync between guest and host
> in arm64 virtualization environment. Time in guest will drift compared
> with host after boot up as they may both use third party time sources
> to correct their time respectively. The time deviation will be in order
> of milliseconds. But in some scenarios,like in cloud envirenment, we ask
> for higher time precision.
> 
> kvm ptp clock, which choose the host clock source as a reference
> clock to sync time between guest and host, has been adopted by x86
> which makes the time sync order from milliseconds to nanoseconds.
> 
> This patch enables kvm ptp clock for arm64 and improve clock sync precison
> significantly.
> 
> Test result comparisons between with kvm ptp clock and without it in arm64
> are as follows. This test derived from the result of command 'chronyc
> sources'. we should take more care of the last sample column which shows
> the offset between the local clock and the source at the last measurement.
> 
> no kvm ptp in guest:
> MS Name/IP address   Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> ========================================================================
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    13  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    21  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    29  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    37  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    45  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    53  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    61  +1040us[+1581us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377     4   -130us[ +796us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    12   -130us[ +796us] +/-   21ms
> ^* dns1.synet.edu.cn      2   6   377    20   -130us[ +796us] +/-   21ms
> 
> in host:
> MS Name/IP address   Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> ========================================================================
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    72   -470us[ -603us] +/-   18ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    92   -470us[ -603us] +/-   18ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377   112   -470us[ -603us] +/-   18ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377     2   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    22   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    43   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    63   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377    83   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377   103   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> ^* 120.25.115.20          2   7   377   123   +872ns[-6808ns] +/-   17ms
> 
> The dns1.synet.edu.cn is the network reference clock for guest and
> 120.25.115.20 is the network reference clock for host. we can't get the
> clock error between guest and host directly, but a roughly estimated value
> will be in order of hundreds of us to ms.
> 
> with kvm ptp in guest:
> chrony has been disabled in host to remove the disturb by network clock.
> 
> MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
> ========================================================================
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     8     -7ns[   +1ns] +/-    3ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     8     +1ns[  +16ns] +/-    3ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     6     -4ns[   -0ns] +/-    6ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     6     -8ns[  -12ns] +/-    5ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     5     +2ns[   +4ns] +/-    4ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377    13     +2ns[   +4ns] +/-    4ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377    12     -4ns[   -6ns] +/-    4ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377    11     -8ns[  -11ns] +/-    6ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377    10    -14ns[  -20ns] +/-    4ns
> * PHC0                    0   3   377     8     +4ns[   +5ns] +/-    4ns
> 
> The PHC0 is the ptp clock which choose the host clock as its source
> clock. So we can see that the clock difference between host and guest
> is in order of ns.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Jianyong Wu <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c | 24 +++++++++++++
>  drivers/ptp/Kconfig                  |  2 +-
>  drivers/ptp/ptp_kvm_arm64.c          | 53 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  3 files changed, 78 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
>  create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_kvm_arm64.c

And I missed that one earlier:

> diff --git a/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c b/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
> index d55acffb0b90..aaf286e90092 100644
> --- a/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
> +++ b/drivers/clocksource/arm_arch_timer.c
> @@ -1650,3 +1650,27 @@ static int __init arch_timer_acpi_init(struct acpi_table_header *table)
>  }
>  TIMER_ACPI_DECLARE(arch_timer, ACPI_SIG_GTDT, arch_timer_acpi_init);
>  #endif
> +
> +#if IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_PTP_1588_CLOCK_KVM)
> +#include <linux/arm-smccc.h>

No conditional includes, please.

> +int kvm_arch_ptp_get_crosststamp(unsigned long *cycle, struct timespec64 *ts,
> +			      struct clocksource **cs)
> +{
> +	struct arm_smccc_res hvc_res;
> +	ktime_t ktime;
> +
> +	/* Currently, linux guest will always use the virtual counter */
> +	arm_smccc_1_1_invoke(ARM_SMCCC_VENDOR_HYP_KVM_PTP_FUNC_ID,
> +			     ARM_PTP_VIRT_COUNTER, &hvc_res);

You don't need to assume anything. This driver already provides you
with the information you need to tell the hypervisor which counter to
use:

	if (arch_timer_uses_ppi == ARCH_TIMER_VIRT_PPI)
		ptp_counter = ARM_PTP_VIRT_COUNTER;
	else
		ptp_counter = ARM_PTP_PHYS_COUNTER;
	arm_smccc_1_1_invoke(ARM_SMCCC_VENDOR_HYP_KVM_PTP_FUNC_ID,
			     ptp_counter, &hvc_res);

At least, this is vaguely future proof.

The hypervisor will still have to discriminate between a call between
a call from vEL1 or vEL2 to decide whether to subtract the offset from
the counter value, but that's out of scope for now.

	M.

-- 
Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.