Subject: Re: [PATCH] unix: fix use-after-free with unix_dgram_poll()

From: Rainer Weikusat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 20:30:55 +0100

Jason Baron <[email-masked]> writes:
> From: Jason Baron <[email-masked]>
>
> The unix_dgram_poll() routine calls sock_poll_wait() not only for the wait
> queue associated with the socket s that we've called poll() on, but it also
> calls sock_poll_wait() for a remote peer socket's wait queue, if it's connected.
> Thus, if we call poll()/select()/epoll() for the socket s, there are then
> a couple of code paths in which the remote peer socket s2 and its associated
> peer_wait queue can be freed before poll()/select()/epoll() have a chance
> to remove themselves from this remote peer socket s2's wait queue.

[...]

> This works because we will continue to get POLLOUT wakeups from
> unix_write_space(), which is called via sock_wfree().

As pointed out in my original comment, this doesn't work (as far as I
can/ could tell) because it will only wake up sockets which had a chance
to enqueue datagrams to the queue of the receiving socket as only
skbuffs enqueued there will be consumed. A socket which is really
waiting for space in the receiving queue won't ever be woken up in this
way.

Further, considering that you're demonstrably not interested in
debugging and fixing this issue (as you haven't even bothered to post
one of the test programs you claim to have), I'm beginning to wonder why
this tripe is being sent to me at all --- it's not "git on autopilot"
this time as someone took the time to dig up my current e-mail address
as the one in the original commit is not valid anymore. Could you please
refrain from such exercises in future unless a discussion is actually
intended?