Subject: Re: [patch V2 4/4] net: dst: Switch to rcuref_t reference counting

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 01:00:16 +0200

On Tue, Mar 07 2023 at 09:55, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 4:57 AM Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> -       atomic_t                __refcnt;       /* 64-bit offset 64 */
>> +       rcuref_t                __refcnt;       /* 64-bit offset 64 */
>
>> -       atomic_t                __refcnt;       /* 32-bit offset 64 */
>> +       rcuref_t                __refcnt;       /* 32-bit offset 64 */
>
> I assume any mis-use is caught by typechecking, but I'd be even
> happier if you changed the name of the member when you fundamentally
> change the use model for it (eg "__refcnt" -> "__rcuref" or
> something).
>
> Or was there some reason for not doing that?

Other than sheer laziness? No. You have a valid point and I should have
thought about that myself.

Thanks for calling me out on that.

       tglx