Subject: Re: [PATCH net 2/2] docs: networking: packet_mmap: don't mention PACKET_MMAP

From: Baruch Siach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 09:58:36 +0200

Hi Willem,

On Thu, Dec 17 2020, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 2:48 PM Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 18:51:17 +0200 Baruch Siach wrote:
>> > Before commit 889b8f964f2f ("packet: Kill CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP.") there
>> > used to be a CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP config symbol that depended on
>> > CONFIG_PACKET. The text still refers to PACKET_MMAP as the name of this
>> > feature, implying that it can be disabled. Another naming variant is
>> > "Packet MMAP".
>> >
>> > Use "PACKET mmap()" everywhere to unify the terminology. Rephrase the
>> > text the implied mmap() feature disable option.
>>
>> Should we maybe say AF_PACKET mmap() ?
>
> I don't think that the feature name PACKET_MMAP implies
> CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP, or thus that the name is obsolete now that the
> latter is.

Current text says "if PACKET_MMAP is not enabled ...". This clearly
implies a CONFIG_ symbol. Besides, the PACKET_MMAP term is mentioned
nowhere else in the source tree. At the very least we need to clarify
what it means.

> If it needs a rename, the setsockopt is PACKET_[RT]X_RING. So, if this
> needs updating, perhaps PACKET_RING would be suitable. Or TPACKET,
> based on the version definitions.

So how would you rephrase text like "PACKET_MMAP provides a size
configurable circular buffer ..."?

baruch

-- 
                                                     ~. .~   Tk Open Systems
=}------------------------------------------------ooO--U--Ooo------------{=
   - [email-masked] - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -