Subject: Re: [PATCH] Revert "wlcore: Adding suppoprt for IGTK key in wlcore driver"

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:41:29 +0300

Steve deRosier <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 10:49 PM Mauro Carvalho Chehab
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> This patch causes a regression betwen Kernel 5.7 and 5.8 at wlcore:
>> with it applied, WiFi stops working, and the Kernel starts printing
>> this message every second:
>>
>>    wlcore: PHY firmware version: Rev 8.2.0.0.242
>>    wlcore: firmware booted (Rev 8.9.0.0.79)
>>    wlcore: ERROR command execute failure 14
>
> Only if NO firmware for the device in question supports the `KEY_IGTK`
> value, then this revert is appropriate. Otherwise, it likely isn't.
>  My suspicion is that the feature that `KEY_IGTK` is enabling is
> specific to a newer firmware that Mauro hasn't upgraded to. What the
> OP should do is find the updated firmware and give it a try.
>
> AND - since there's some firmware the feature doesn't work with, the
> driver should be fixed to detect the running firmware version and not
> do things that the firmware doesn't support.  AND the firmware writer
> should also make it so the firmware doesn't barf on bad input and
> instead rejects it politely.
>
> But I will say I'm making an educated guess; while I have played with
> the TI devices in the past, it was years ago and I won't claim to be
> an expert. I also am unable to fix it myself at this time.
>
> I'd just rather see it fixed properly instead of a knee-jerk reaction
> of reverting it simply because the OP doesn't have current firmware.

Yeah, a proper fix for this is of course better but if there's no fix,
say within the next week or so, let's revert this. A new version of the
patch implementing IGTK, with proper feature detection, can be always
added later.

-- 
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches