Subject: Re: [PATCH] Implement IP_EVIL socket option (RFC 3514)

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:01:49 +0200

* Al Viro:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:17:00PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Martin Lucina:
>> 
>> > This patch implements the IP_EVIL socket option, allowing user-space
>> > applications to set the Security Flag in the IPv4 Header, aka "evil" bit,
>> > as defined in RFC 3514.
>> 
>> I need this to fix a security issue.  Could this be merged for real,
>> please?
>
> I would suggest switching away from your RFC1149 link - looks like your mail
> took 3 days on the way out...

Sorry, I saw it just now.

The idea is to change the JVM to set IP_EVIL when an applet creates a
socket, so that this socket cannot be used to trick firewalls to open
up access to totally unrelated services.