Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 bpf-next 15/22] xsk: add multi-buffer documentation

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:56:31 +0200

Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 22:34, Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 16:15:32 +0200 Magnus Karlsson wrote:
>> > > Hmm, okay, that sounds pretty tedious :P
>> >
>> > Indeed if you had to do it manually ;-). Do not think this max is
>> > important though, see next answer.
>>
>> Can't we add max segs to Lorenzo's XDP info?
>> include/uapi/linux/netdev.h
>
> That should be straight forward. I am just reluctant to add a user
> interface that might not be necessary.

Yeah, that was why I was asking what the expectations were before
suggesting adding this to the feature bits :)

However, given that the answer seems to be "it varies"...

> Maciej, how about changing your patch #13 so that we do not add a flag
> for zc_mb supported or not, but instead we add a flag that gives the
> user the max number of frags supported in zc mode? A 1 returned would
> mean that max 1 frag is supported, i.e. mb is not supported. Any
> number >1 would mean that mb is supported in zc mode for this device
> and the returned number is the max number of frags supported. This way
> we would not have to add one more user interface solely for getting
> the max number of frags supported. What do you think?

...I think it's a good idea to add the field, and this sounds like a
reasonable way of dealing with it (although it may need a bit more
plumbing on the netlink side?)

-Toke