Subject: Re: [PATCH v10 0/1] wfx: get out from the staging area

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:06:33 +0300

Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 10:16:58 +0300 Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Sure, that would technically work. But I just think it's cleaner to use
>> -rc1 (or later) as the baseline for an immutable branch. If the baseline
>> is an arbitrary commit somewhere within merge windows commits, it's more
>> work for everyone to verify the branch is suitable.
>> 
>> Also in general I would also prefer to base -next trees to -rc1 or newer
>> to make the bisect cleaner. The less we need to test kernels from the
>> merge window (ie. commits after the final release and before -rc1) the
>> better.
>> 
>> But this is just a small wish from me, I fully understand that it might
>> be too much changes to your process. Wanted to point out this anyway.
>
> Forwarded!

Awesome, thank you Jakub!

Greg, I now created an immutable branch for moving wfx from
drivers/staging to drivers/net/wireless/silabs:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git wfx-move-out-of-staging

The baseline for this branch is v5.18-rc1. If you think the branch is
ok, please pull it to staging-next and let me know. I can then pull the
branch to wireless-next and the transition should be complete. And do
let me know if there are any problems.

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches