Subject: Re: net: phy: Dealing with 88e1543 dual-port mode

From: Tobias Waldekranz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:12:43 +0100

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 00:40, Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think you're advocating calling the fiber interface "SGMII", which
> would be totally wrong.
>
> SGMII is a Cisco modification of 802.3 1000base-X to allow 10M and 100M
> speeds to be used over a single serdes lane in each direction.
>
> 1000base-X is what you run over a fiber link. This is not SGMII. Using
> "SGMII" for 1000base-X is incorrect, but a common abuse of the term in
> industry. Abusing a term does not make it correct, especially when it
> comes to defining further standards.
>
> (This is one of my pet peaves, sorry.)

Nomenclature is very important, no excuse necessary.

You are right that SGMII is not the term I am looking for, but I am not
sure 1000base-X is either. I am looking for a word that describes the
serial interface that can run in either 1000base-X or 100base-FX mode
(and possibly other ancient/proprietary modes). Maybe just "serdes"?