Subject: Re: [PATCH net] af_unix: Guard against other == sk in unix_dgram_sendmsg

From: Rainer Weikusat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 13:25:15 +0000

Philipp Hahn <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Rainer,
>
> Am 11.02.2016 um 20:37 schrieb Rainer Weikusat:
>> The unix_dgram_sendmsg routine use the following test
>> 
>> if (unlikely(unix_peer(other) != sk && unix_recvq_full(other))) {

[...]

>> This isn't correct as the> specified address could have been bound to
>> the sending socket itself

[...]

> After applying that patch at least my machine running the samba test no
> longer crashes.

There's a possible gotcha in there: Send-to-self used to be limited by
the queue limit. But the rationale for that (IIRC) was that someone
could keep using newly created sockets to queue ever more data to a
single, unrelated receiver. I don't think this should apply when
receiving and sending sockets are identical. But that's just my
opinion. The other option would be to avoid the unix_state_double_lock
for sk == other. I'd be willing to change this accordingly if someone
thinks the queue limit should apply to send-to-self.