Subject: routing table improvements

From: Tobias DiPasquale <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:19:55 -0400

Hi all,

I am starting work on improving the routing table in Linux by removing
the route cache altogether and reimplemting the FIB with a radix tree
search implementation. However, I have some questions/RFCs before I
get too deep into it.

First of all, is anyone else doing something in this area?

Second, it doesn't look (to me) as if the lib/radix-tree.c
implementation is sufficiently generic to be used in this capacity.
What I mean is, it appears as if this code can't be used in interrupt
context, which is sort of a necessity for this particular purpose. Am
I just out of my mind or is that the case?

Finally, can anyone think of a reason not use a radix tree search for
the FIB? I was going to implement a simple binary radix tree (similar
to what FreeBSD has). I had originally thought of using something like
CEF uses (a 256-way radix tree), but this would be too
memory-intensive, IMO.

Anyone have any comments?

-- 
[ Tobias DiPasquale ]
0x636f6465736c696e67657240676d61696c2e636f6d