Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next 4/6] samples/bpf: Remove the xdp1 and xdp2 utilities

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 19:35:57 +0200

Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 22/08/2023 18.56, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> On 22/08/2023 16.22, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>>>> The functionality of these utilities have been incorporated into the
>>>> xdp-bench utility in xdp-tools. Remove the unmaintained versions in
>>>> samples.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I think it will be worth our time if we give some examples of how the
>>> removed utility translates to some given xdp-bench commands.  There is
>>> not a 1-1 mapping.
>>>
>>> XDP driver changes need to be verified on physical NIC hardware, so
>>> these utilities are still being run by QA.  I know Red Hat, Intel and
>>> Linaro QA people are using these utilities.  It will save us time if we
>>> can reference a commit message instead of repeatable describing this.
>>> E.g. for Intel is it often contingent workers that adds a tested-by
>>> (that all need to update their knowledge).
>> 
>> I did think about putting that in the commit message for these, but I
>> figured it was too obscure a place to put it, compared to (for instance)
>> putting it into the xdp-bench man page.
>> 
>> If you prefer to have it in the commit message as well, I can respin
>> adding it - WDYT?
>> 
>
> It is super nice that xdp-bench already have a man page, but I was 
> actually looking at this and it was a bit overwhelming (520 lines) 
> explaining every possible option.

Haha, I think that's the first time I've had anyone complain that I
write too *much* documentation ;)

> I really think its worth giving examples in the commit, to ease the 
> transition to this new tool.

OK, I'll respin tomorrow with some examples in the commit messages...

-Toke