Subject: Re: [PATCH v10 0/1] wfx: get out from the staging area

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 10:16:58 +0300

Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 23:22:47 -0700 Jakub Kicinski wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Apr 2022 13:49:18 +0300 Kalle Valo wrote:
>> > Dave&Jakub, once you guys open net-next will it be based on -rc1?  
>> 
>> Not normally. We usually let net feed net-next so it'd get -rc1 this
>> Thursday. But we should be able to fast-forward, let me confirm with
>> Dave.
>
> Wait, why is -rc1 magic? If you based the branch on whatever
> the merge-base of net-next and staging-next is, would that be
> an aberration?

Sure, that would technically work. But I just think it's cleaner to use
-rc1 (or later) as the baseline for an immutable branch. If the baseline
is an arbitrary commit somewhere within merge windows commits, it's more
work for everyone to verify the branch is suitable.

Also in general I would also prefer to base -next trees to -rc1 or newer
to make the bisect cleaner. The less we need to test kernels from the
merge window (ie. commits after the final release and before -rc1) the
better.

But this is just a small wish from me, I fully understand that it might
be too much changes to your process. Wanted to point out this anyway.

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches