Subject: Re: [PATCH iproute2-next 0/5] iproute2: add libbpf support

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 12:04:11 +0100

David Ahern <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 11/28/20 11:16 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
>> Luca wants to put this in Debian 11 (good idea), but that means:
>> 
>> 1. It has to work with 5.10 release and kernel.
>> 2. Someone has to test it.
>> 3. The 5.10 is a LTS kernel release which means BPF developers have
>>    to agree to supporting LTS releases.
>> 
>> If someone steps up to doing this then I would be happy to merge it now
>> for 5.10. Otherwise it won't show up until 5.11.
>
> It would be good for Bullseye to have the option to use libbpf with
> iproute2. If Debian uses the 5.10 kernel then it should use the 5.10
> version of iproute2 and 5.10 version libbpf. All the components align
> with consistent versioning.
>
> I have some use cases I can move from bpftool loading to iproute2 as
> additional testing to what Hangbin has already done. If that goes well,
> I can re-send the patch series against iproute2-main branch by next weekend.

This is fine by me - there's nothing in the iproute2 patches that
depends on any particular version of libbpf newer than 0.1.0 (that was
the whole point), so it's just a matter of when you guys want to merge
it.

> It would be good for others (Jesper, Toke, Jiri) to run their own
> testing as well.

I'll do some manual testing, and once we get this into RHEL it'll be
part of automated testing there as well. The latter may take a while,
though, so don't count on it for any initial verification...

-Toke