Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] netns: filter uevents correctly

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:48:40 -0500

Christian Brauner <[email-masked]> writes:

>> At a practical level there should be no receivers.  Plus performance
>> issues.  At least my memory is that any unprivileged user on the system
>> is allowed to listen to those events.
>
> Any unprivileged user is allowed to listen to uevents if they have
> net_broadcast in the user namespace the uevent socket was opened in;
> unless I'm misreading.

I believe you are.

This code in do_one_broadcast.

	if (!net_eq(sock_net(sk), p->net)) {
		if (!(nlk->flags & NETLINK_F_LISTEN_ALL_NSID))
			return;

		if (!peernet_has_id(sock_net(sk), p->net))
			return;

		if (!file_ns_capable(sk->sk_socket->file, p->net->user_ns,
				     CAP_NET_BROADCAST))
			return;
	}

Used to just be:
	if (!net_eq(sock_net(sk), p->net))
        	return;

Which makes sense when you have a shared hash table and a shared mc_list
between network namespaces.

There is a non-container use of network namespaces where you just need
different contexts were ip addresses can overlap etc.  In that
configuration where a single program is mananging multiple network
namespaces being able to listen to rtnetlink events in all of them is an
advantage.

For that case a special socket option NETLINK_F_LISTEN_ALL_NSID was
added that allowed one socket to listen for events from multiple network
namespaces.

If we rework the code in af_netlink.c that matters.  However for just
understanding uevents you can assume there are no sockets with
NETLINK_F_LISTEN_ALL_NSID set.

Eric