Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: cdc_ether.c: Add SE J105i to device whitelist

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 15:50:22 +0100

Marcel Holtmann <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This patch adds the Sony Ericsson J105i (Naite)
>> mobile phone to the cdc_ether device whitelist,
>> enabling access to the modem.
>> 
>> I would think more SE models of this generation
>> (2009Q3) with builtin HSDPA modules also needs
>> to be added to this list.
>
> I do prefer if we NOT use the mbm_info details for this since they are
> clearly for mobile broadband cards with FLAG_WWAN.

Assuming that these devices can be configured just like the WWAN cards
by sending commands to the associated ACM* or WDM* interfaces, why would
you treat them differently?  Because they've got a keyboard and a
display?

> Since this is a phone where the setup of the connection is done via the
> phone. And you just treat this as an Ethernet device and run DHCP, then
> please create a se_info or similar with FLAG_ETHER.

Why would anyone want to setup the connection via the phone?  That seems
unnecessary cumbersome. I'd prefer such devices to be auto-configured
just like any other WWAN device.

Bjørn