Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] dt-bindings: wireless: add ath11k pcie bindings

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 20:41:21 +0200

+ ath11k list

Johan Hovold <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:22:12PM +0200, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> Johan Hovold <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Add devicetree bindings for Qualcomm ath11k PCIe devices such as WCN6856
>> > for which the calibration data variant may need to be described.
>> >
>> > Signed-off-by: Johan Hovold <[email-masked]>
>> > ---
>> >  .../bindings/net/wireless/pci17cb,1103.yaml   | 56 +++++++++++++++++++
>> >  1 file changed, 56 insertions(+)
>> >  create mode 100644
>> > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/wireless/pci17cb,1103.yaml
>> 
>> I'm confused (as usual), how does this differ from
>> bindings/net/wireless/qcom,ath11k.yaml? Why we need two .yaml files?
>
> Almost none of bindings/net/wireless/qcom,ath11k.yaml applies to WCN6856
> when using PCIe (e.g. as most properties are then discoverable).
>
> We could try to encode everything in one file, but that would likely
> just result in a big mess of a schema with conditionals all over.

Ah, so the current qcom,ath11k.yaml would be only for ath11k AHB devices
and this new file is only for ath11k PCI devices? But why still the odd
name pci17cb,1103.yaml? It's not really descriptive and I'm for sure
will not remember that pci17cb,1103.yaml is for ath11k :)

Also it doesn't look good that we have qcom,ath11k-calibration-variant
documented twice now. I'm no DT expert but isn't there any other way? Is
it possible to include other files? For example, if we would have three
files:

qcom,ath11k.yaml
qcom,ath11k-ahb.yaml
qcom,ath11k-pci.yaml

Then have the common properties like ath11k-calibration-variant in the
first file and ahb/pci files would include that.

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches