Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v1 6/9] igc: Add support for tuning frame preemption via ethtool

From: Vinicius Costa Gomes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 14:15:25 -0800

Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue,  1 Dec 2020 20:53:22 -0800 Vinicius Costa Gomes wrote:
>> The tc subsystem sets which queues are marked as preemptible, it's the
>> role of ethtool to control more hardware specific parameters. These
>> parameters include:
>> 
>>  - enabling the frame preemption hardware: As enabling frame
>>  preemption may have other requirements before it can be enabled, it's
>>  exposed via the ethtool API;
>> 
>>  - mininum fragment size multiplier: expressed in usually in the form
>>  of (1 + N)*64, this number indicates what's the size of the minimum
>>  fragment that can be preempted.
>> 
>> Signed-off-by: Vinicius Costa Gomes <[email-masked]>
>
> WARNING: 'PREEMPTABLE' may be misspelled - perhaps 'PREEMPTIBLE'?

In the datasheet the term PREEMPTABLE is used, and when refering to
register values I chose to be consistent with the datasheet. But as the
margin for confusion is small, I can change to use "preemptible"
everywhere, no problem.

Cheers,
-- 
Vinicius