Subject: Re: [PATCH net] af_unix: Guard against other == sk in unix_dgram_sendmsg

From: Rainer Weikusat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 20:59:57 +0000

Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Fri, 2016-02-12 at 20:17 +0000, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

[...]

>>>> I don't think this should apply when
>>>> receiving and sending sockets are identical. But that's just my
>>>> opinion. The other option would be to avoid the unix_state_double_lock
>>>> for sk == other.
>>> 
>>> Given that unix_state_double_lock() already handles sk == other, I'm
>>> not sure why you think it needs to be avoided.
>> 
>> Because the whole complication of restarting the operation after locking
>> both sk and other because other had to be unlocked before calling
>> unix_state_double_lock is useless for this case:

[...]

> Well of course it's useless, but it's also harmless.  

As is adding a

for (i = 0; i < 1000000; ++i);

between any two statements. And this isn't even entirely true as the
pointless double-lock will then require "did we pointlessly
doube-lock" checks elsewhere. I think it should be possible to do this
in a simpler way by not pointlessly double-locking (this may be
wrong but it's worth a try).

> If we really wanted to optimise this we could also skip unlocking if
> other < sk.

I wouldn't want to hardcode assumptions about the unix_state_double_lock
algorithm in functions using it.