Subject: Re: Network access fails unless tcpdump is running?

From: Marc D Ronell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:53:39 -0500

"Andy Gospodarek" <[email-masked]> writes:

>
> Any chance you can boot back to the old kernel (the one where is was
> working) and run and ethtool -i eth0 on that one to see what version of
> the driver was used there?  It's hard to know what may have changed
> between the 2 versions of the driver since I don't know the starting
> point.
>
> It's also hard to know if this is fixed already since you aren't running
> the latest upstream kernel.  Downloading, building, and testing the
> latest from kernel.org would be a good way to know if this is already
> fixed.
>

I had already loaded,  compiled, and tested linux-2.6.20.1.  There was
no change with the newer kernel.  Network connections only worked when
tcpdump was running.

Similar for booting with an  older kernel 2.6.17.  I think the problem
is not with the kernel, but with other system software.  It could take
a while to debug, so I am just rebuilding.

Thanks for your help.

marc