Subject: Re: [PATCH] add support for Sierra Wireless EM7590 0xc081 composition.

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:07:04 +0200

Ethan Yang <[email-masked]> writes:

> add support for Sierra Wireless EM7590 0xc081 composition.
>
> Signed-off-by: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c | 1 +
>  1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
>
> diff --git a/drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c b/drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c
> index 3353e761016d..fa220a13edb6 100644
> --- a/drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c
> +++ b/drivers/net/usb/qmi_wwan.c
> @@ -1351,6 +1351,7 @@ static const struct usb_device_id products[] = {
>  	{QMI_QUIRK_SET_DTR(0x1199, 0x907b, 8)},	/* Sierra Wireless EM74xx */
>  	{QMI_QUIRK_SET_DTR(0x1199, 0x907b, 10)},/* Sierra Wireless EM74xx */
>  	{QMI_QUIRK_SET_DTR(0x1199, 0x9091, 8)},	/* Sierra Wireless EM7565 */
> +	{QMI_QUIRK_SET_DTR(0x1199, 0xc081, 8)},	/* Sierra Wireless EM7590 */
>  	{QMI_FIXED_INTF(0x1bbb, 0x011e, 4)},	/* Telekom Speedstick LTE II (Alcatel One Touch L100V LTE) */
>  	{QMI_FIXED_INTF(0x1bbb, 0x0203, 2)},	/* Alcatel L800MA */
>  	{QMI_FIXED_INTF(0x2357, 0x0201, 4)},	/* TP-LINK HSUPA Modem MA180 */

Hello!

The diff looks fine to me, but there are some minor issues with the
commit message.  This is how it ended up looking in for me with "git
log":

---
commit 5e3f386fdb23c8e5ba7c24ff5efd6beb73db3e85 (HEAD -> bugfix-master)
Author: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>
Date:   Mon Apr 25 11:14:11 2022 +0800

    add support for Sierra Wireless EM7590 0xc081 composition.
    
    add support for Sierra Wireless EM7590 0xc081 composition.
    
    Signed-off-by: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>
---

The issues I see there are:

 1) subject should have a prefix - e.g. "net: usb: qmi_wwan:"
 
 2) don't repeat the subject in the body - that's redundant and ends up
    looking like a duplicate line in the commit message.  Write
    something addding more information instead.  Anything you find
    relevant

 3) I guess you send from a gmail address for a reason.  But you most
    likely want the Author field to match your Signed-off-by?  You can fix
    this by including something like this as the *first* line of the
    message body:

       From: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>

FYI: checkpatch warns about the last issue:

bjorn@miraculix:/usr/local/src/git/linux$ scripts/checkpatch.pl /tmp/xx
WARNING: From:/Signed-off-by: email address mismatch: 'From: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>' != 'Signed-off-by: Ethan Yang <[email-masked]>'

total: 0 errors, 1 warnings, 0 checks, 7 lines checked

NOTE: For some of the reported defects, checkpatch may be able to
      mechanically convert to the typical style using --fix or --fix-inplace.

/tmp/xx has style problems, please review.

NOTE: If any of the errors are false positives, please report
      them to the maintainer, see CHECKPATCH in MAINTAINERS.

Bjørn