Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 net-next 2/4] net: dsa: Link aggregation support

From: Tobias Waldekranz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 16:21:31 +0100

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 15:27, Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I disagree. A LAG is one type of netdev that a DSA port can offload. The
>> other one is the DSA port's own netdev, i.e. what we have had since time
>> immemorial.
>> 
>> dsa_port_offloads_netdev(dp, dev)?
>
> That is better.

...but there is an even better one?

> But a comment explaining what the function does might
> be useful.

This is the function body:

	/* Switchdev offloading can be configured on: */

	if (dev == dp->slave)
		/* DSA ports directly connected to a bridge. */
		return true;

	if (dp->lag && dev == dp->lag->dev)
		/* DSA ports connected to a bridge via a LAG */
		return true;

	return false;

What more is there to explain? Is it the style?  Do you prefer initial
block comments over explaining the individual statements? Is the lanuage
not up to standard?

I am sorry for the tone, I am aware of it. It is just that I really want
to contributem but I am starting to feel like a tty-over-email-proxy to
my emacs session - and an extremely unreliable one at that.