Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next 4/6] samples/bpf: Remove the xdp1 and xdp2 utilities

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:56:38 +0200

Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 22/08/2023 16.22, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> The functionality of these utilities have been incorporated into the
>> xdp-bench utility in xdp-tools. Remove the unmaintained versions in
>> samples.
>> 
>
> I think it will be worth our time if we give some examples of how the
> removed utility translates to some given xdp-bench commands.  There is
> not a 1-1 mapping.
>
> XDP driver changes need to be verified on physical NIC hardware, so
> these utilities are still being run by QA.  I know Red Hat, Intel and
> Linaro QA people are using these utilities.  It will save us time if we
> can reference a commit message instead of repeatable describing this.
> E.g. for Intel is it often contingent workers that adds a tested-by
> (that all need to update their knowledge).

I did think about putting that in the commit message for these, but I
figured it was too obscure a place to put it, compared to (for instance)
putting it into the xdp-bench man page.

If you prefer to have it in the commit message as well, I can respin
adding it - WDYT?

-Toke