Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 0/7] 802.1Q Frame Preemption and 802.3 MAC Merge support via ethtool

From: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 10:16:20 +0200

On Wed Aug 17 2022, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> Vinicius' progress on upstreaming frame preemption support for Intel I226
> seemed to stall, so I decided to give it a go using my own view as well.
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/cover/[email-masked]/

Great to see progress on FPE :-).

[snip]

> - Finally, the hardware I'm working with (here, the test vehicle is the
>   NXP ENETC from LS1028A, although I have patches for the Felix switch
>   as well, but those need a bit of a revolution in the driver to go in
>   first). This hardware is not without its flaws, but at least allows me
>   to concentrate on the UAPI portions for this series.
>
> I also have a kselftest written, but it's for the Felix switch (covers
> forwarding latency) and so it's not included here.

What kind of selftest did you implement? So far I've been doing this:
Using a cyclic real time application to create high priority frames and
running iperf3 in parallel to simulate low priority traffic
constantly. Afterwards, checking the NIC statistics for fragments and so
on. Also checking the latency of the RT frames with FPE on/off.

BTW, if you guys need help with testing of patches, i do have access to
i225 and stmmacs which both support FPE. Also the Hirschmann switches
should support it.

Thanks,
Kurt