Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH net-next 0/3] TC: Introduce qevents

From: Petr Machata <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:37:25 +0200

Cong Wang <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 6:40 AM Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The first command just says "early drop position should be processed by
>> block 10"
>>
>> The second command just adds a filter to the block 10.

> This is exactly why it looks odd to me, because it _reads_ like
> 'tc qdisc' creates the block to hold tc filters... I think tc filters should
> create whatever placeholder for themselves.

Look at clsact. It creates blocks in exactly the same way.

> I know in memory block (or chain or filters) are stored in qdisc, but
> it is still different to me who initiates the creation.

The block binding mechanics are not new. The patch just reuses them. If
you are unhappy about how this is currently done, I too would see merit
in creating a block explicitly, like with chains. But it has nothing to
do with this patchset, which would just naturally pick up whatever this
new mechanic is.