Subject: Re: [PATCH bpf-next 1/3] libbpf: xsk: use bpf_link

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 18:07:22 +0100

Maciej Fijalkowski <[email-masked]> writes:

> Currently, if there are multiple xdpsock instances running on a single
> interface and in case one of the instances is terminated, the rest of
> them are left in an inoperable state due to the fact of unloaded XDP
> prog from interface.
>
> To address that, step away from setting bpf prog in favour of bpf_link.
> This means that refcounting of BPF resources will be done automatically
> by bpf_link itself.
>
> When setting up BPF resources during xsk socket creation, check whether
> bpf_link for a given ifindex already exists via set of calls to
> bpf_link_get_next_id -> bpf_link_get_fd_by_id -> bpf_obj_get_info_by_fd
> and comparing the ifindexes from bpf_link and xsk socket.

One consideration here is that bpf_link_get_fd_by_id() is a privileged
operation (privileged as in CAP_SYS_ADMIN), so this has the side effect
of making AF_XDP privileged as well. Is that the intention?

Another is that the AF_XDP code is in the process of moving to libxdp
(see in-progress PR [0]), and this approach won't carry over as-is to
that model, because libxdp has to pin the bpf_link fds.

However, in libxdp we can solve the original problem in a different way,
and in fact I already suggested to Magnus that we should do this (see
[1]); so one way forward could be to address it during the merge in
libxdp? It should be possible to address the original issue (two
instances of xdpsock breaking each other when they exit), but
applications will still need to do an explicit unload operation before
exiting (i.e., the automatic detach on bpf_link fd closure will take
more work, and likely require extending the bpf_link kernel support)...

-Toke

[0] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/pull/92
[1] https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/pull/92#discussion_r576204719