Subject: Re: [PATCH] Implementation of the sendgroup() system call

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 09:13:10 +0200

Elad Lahav <[email-masked]> writes:

> The attached patch contains an implementation of sendgroup(), a system
> call that allows a UDP packet to be transmitted efficiently to
> multiple recipients. Use cases for this system call include
> live-streaming and multi-player online games.
> The basic idea is that the caller maintains a group - a list of IP
> addresses and UDP ports - and calls sendgroup() with the group list
> and a common payload. Optionally, the call allows for per-recipient
> data to be prepended or appended to the shared block. The data is
> copied once in the kernel into an allocated page, and the
> per-recipient socket buffers point to that page. Savings come from
> avoiding both the multiple calls and the multiple copies of the data
> required with regular socket operations.

My guess it's more the copies than the calls? It sounds like
you want sendfile() for UDP. I think that would be a cleaner solution
than such a specific hack for your application. It would
have the advantage of saving the first copy too and be 
truly zero copy on capable NICs.

Or perhaps simple send to a local multicast group and let
some netfilter module turn that into regular UDP.

-Andi
-- 
[email-masked] -- Speaking for myself only.