Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/2] net: stmmac: correct MAC propagation delay

From: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2023 12:10:51 +0200

On Tue Aug 01 2023, Johannes Zink wrote:
> ---
> Changes in v3:
> - work in Richard's review feedback. Thank you for reviewing my patch:
>   - as some of the hardware may have no or invalid correction value
>     registers: introduce feature switch which can be enabled in the glue
>     code drivers depending on the actual hardware support
>   - only enable the feature on the i.MX8MP for the time being, as the patch
>     improves timing accuracy and is tested for this hardware
> - Link to v2: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
>
> Changes in v2:
> - fix builds for 32bit, this was found by the kernel build bot
> 	Reported-by: kernel test robot <[email-masked]>
> 	Closes: https://lore.kernel.org/oe-kbuild-all/[email-masked]/
> - while at it also fix an overflow by shifting a u32 constant from macro by 10bits
>   by casting the constant to u64
> - Link to v1: https://lore.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]
>
> ---
> Johannes Zink (2):
>       net: stmmac: correct MAC propagation delay
>       net: stmmac: dwmac-imx: enable MAC propagation delay correction for i.MX8MP

Tested on imx8mp <-> TSN Switch <-> x86 with i225:

Before your patch:

|ptp4l -i eth0 -f configs/gPTP.cfg --summary_interval=5 -m
|ptp4l[139.274]: rms    9 max   27 freq +29264 +/-  13 delay   347 +/-   2
|ptp4l[171.279]: rms   10 max   24 freq +29257 +/-  13 delay   344 +/-   2
|ptp4l[203.283]: rms   10 max   24 freq +29254 +/-  13 delay   347 +/-   2
|ptp4l[235.288]: rms    9 max   24 freq +29255 +/-  13 delay   346 +/-   1
|ptp4l[267.292]: rms    9 max   28 freq +29257 +/-  13 delay   347 +/-   2

After:

|ptp4l -i eth0 -f configs/gPTP.cfg --summary_interval=5 -m
|ptp4l[214.186]: rms    9 max   29 freq +28868 +/-  16 delay   326 +/-   2
|ptp4l[246.190]: rms    8 max   22 freq +28902 +/-  15 delay   329 +/-   2
|ptp4l[278.194]: rms    9 max   24 freq +28930 +/-  15 delay   325 +/-   1
|ptp4l[310.199]: rms    9 max   25 freq +28956 +/-  15 delay   327 +/-   3
|ptp4l[342.203]: rms    9 max   27 freq +28977 +/-  14 delay   327 +/-   1

And the derived register values:

|[   15.864016] KURT: PTP_TS_INGR_CORR_NS: 3147483248 PTP_TS_INGR_CORR_SNS: 0
|[   15.870862] KURT: PTP_TS_EGR_CORR_NS: 400 PTP_TS_EGR_CORR_SNS: 0
|[   20.000962] KURT: PTP_TS_INGR_CORR_NS: 3147483636 PTP_TS_INGR_CORR_SNS: 0
|[   20.007809] KURT: PTP_TS_EGR_CORR_NS: 12 PTP_TS_EGR_CORR_SNS: 0

So, seems to work:

Tested-by: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]> # imx8mp

Thanks,
Kurt