Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next 00/10] net: bridge: Multiple Spanning Trees

From: Tobias Waldekranz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2022 22:20:30 +0100

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 18:21, Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 at 11:03:11AM +0100, Tobias Waldekranz wrote:
>> A proposal for the corresponding iproute2 interface is available here:
>> 
>> https://github.com/wkz/iproute2/tree/mst
>
> Please pardon my ignorance. Is there a user-mode STP protocol application
> that supports MSTP, and that you've tested these patches with?
> I'd like to give it a try.

I see that Stephen has already pointed you to mstpd in a sibling
message.

It is important to note though, that AFAIK mstpd does not actually
support MSTP on a vanilla Linux system. The protocol implementation is
in place, and they have a plugin architecture that makes it easy for people
to hook it up to various userspace SDKs and whatnot, but you can't use
it with a regular bridge.

A colleague of mine has been successfully running a modified version of
mstpd which was tailored for v1 of this series (RFC). But I do not
believe he has had the time to rework it for v2. That should mostly be a
matter of removing code though, as v2 allows you to manage the MSTIs
directly, rather than having to translate it to an associated VLAN.