Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 net-next] docs: net: add an explanation of VF (and other) Representors

From: Jonathan Corbet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 07:08:29 -0600

Edward Cree <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 06/09/2022 10:29, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>> I think by convention, footnotes should be put on bottom of the doc.
>
> Hmm, a quick and unscientific sample of Documentation/ suggests that
>  many/most existing examples put the footnote shortly after the
>  reference or at the end of the section, roughly as I did here.  I
>  looked at five rST files found by "grep \[#\]_" and all of them had
>  the footnote body close to the reference.
> The placement of the footnote text in the generated output is up to
>  the stylesheet / renderer, of course.

We certainly have no established convention in this area as far as I
know, and I'm not convinced we need one.

Bagas, could I ask you please to focus a bit more on doing useful work
and less on telling others how they should be working?

Thanks,

jon