Subject: Re: [PATCH] SMSC LAN911x and LAN921x vendor driver

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:27:40 +0200

>>>>> "Steve" == Steve Glendinning <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

 >> What's the problem with Dustin's driver? It seems to work fine here
 >> with a lan9117. Why not just add lan921x support to the existing
 >> driver?

 Steve> I have heard Dustin's driver works very well on PXA, but on
 Steve> others it doesn't even compile (hence why it depends on
 Steve> ARCH_PXA).

I'm using it on PPC.

 Steve> Dustin's driver was based on the smc91x code, but these two
 Steve> ethernet devices share nothing other than a similar name.
 Steve> smsc911x is a new, completely platform-independent driver with
 Steve> workarounds for several hardware issues, and it doesn't suffer
 Steve> from quite as much macro abuse :-)

The macros are not that bad as the hw people sligtly misconnected the
chip, so I need special access routines (enable the big endian mode,
not byteswap on normal registar access and byteswap on fifo access).

I'll give your driver a try and report back.

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard