Subject: Re: [PATCH v7] posix-timers: add clock_compare system call

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 11:24:59 +0200

On Mon, Apr 01 2024 at 22:42, Mahesh Bandewar (महेश बंडेवार) wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 1:46 PM Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> So if there is a backwards compability issue with PTP_SYS_OFFSET2, then
>> you need to introduce PTP_SYS_OFFSET3. The PTP_SYS_*2 variants were
>> introduced to avoid backwards compatibility issues as well, but
>> unfortunately that did not address the reserved fields problem for
>> PTP_SYS_OFFSET2. PTP_SYS_OFFSET_EXTENDED2 should just work, but maybe
>> the PTP maintainers want a full extension to '3'. Either way is fine.
>>
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/[email-masked]/
>
> This was my attempt to solve a similar issue with the new ioctl op to
> avoid backward compatibility issues.  Instead of flags I used the
> clockid_t in a similar fashion.

Works as well. I'm not seing the point for CLOCK_MONOTONIC and the
change logs are not really telling anything about the problem being
solved....

Thanks,

        tglx