Subject: Re: Maintainers / Kernel Summit 2021 planning kick-off

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 17:42:47 +0200

Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 07:58:10AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
>> On Thu, 2021-05-27 at 15:29 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
>> > On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 03:23:03PM +0200, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>> > > On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> > > 
>> > > > I know we're all really hungry for some in-person meetups and
>> > > > discussions, but at least for LPC, Kernel Summit, and
>> > > > Maintainer's Summit, we're going to have to wait for another
>> > > > year,
>> > > 
>> > > Well now that we are vaccinated: Can we still change it?
>> > > 
>> > 
>> > Speak for yourself, remember that Europe and other parts of the world
>> > are not as "flush" with vaccines as the US currently is :(
>> 
>> The rollout is accelerating in Europe.  At least in Germany, I know
>> people younger than me are already vaccinated.  I think by the end of
>> September the situation will be better ... especially if the EU and US
>> agree on this air bridge (and the US actually agrees to let EU people
>> in).
>> 
>> One of the things Plumbers is thinking of is having a meetup at what
>> was OSS EU but which is now in Seattle.  The Maintainer's summit could
>> do the same thing.  We couldn't actually hold Plumbers in Seattle
>> because the hotels still had masks and distancing requirements for
>> events that effectively precluded the collaborative aspects of
>> microconferences, but evening events will be governed by local
>> protocols, rather than the Hotel, which are already more relaxed.
>
> Umm.  Let's remember that the vaccines are 33-93% effective [1],
> which means that there's approximately a 100% certainty that at least
> one person arriving at the event from a trans-atlantic flight has been
> exposed to someone who has the virus.  I'm not convinced that holding a
> "more relaxed protocol" event is a great idea.

Not to mention the fact that this would exclude everyone from parts of
the world that do not have a high vaccine coverage or a cosy "air
bridge" type relationship with the US (whatever that means); aren't we
supposed to be an international community? :/

-Toke