Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] net: stmmac: enable EEE in MII, GMII or RGMII only

From: Arnaud Patard (Rtp) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 13:41:11 +0100

Jerome Brunet <[email-masked]> writes:

> Note in the databook - Section 4.4 - EEE :
> " The EEE feature is not supported when the MAC is configured to use the
> TBI, RTBI, SMII, RMII or SGMII single PHY interface. Even if the MAC
> supports multiple PHY interfaces, you should activate the EEE mode only
> when the MAC is operating with GMII, MII, or RGMII interface."
>
> Applying this restriction solves a stability issue observed on Amlogic
> gxl platforms operating with RMII interface and the internal PHY.

I was having the issue on my libretech AML-S905X-CC / potato board. With
this patch, I've not been able to trigger it at all. Without it and with
my test case, I was able to trigger the hang several times reliably.

Any hope to see this merged ?

>
> Fixes: 83bf79b6bb64 ("stmmac: disable at run-time the EEE if not supported")
> Signed-off-by: Jerome Brunet <[email-masked]>

Tested-by: Arnaud Patard <[email-masked]>