Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v2 1/6] ethtool: add interface to read Tx hardware timestamping statistics

From: Rahul Rameshbabu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:43:07 -0700

On Thu, 14 Mar, 2024 10:59:43 -0700 Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 10:01:49 -0700 Rahul Rameshbabu wrote:
>> You need the pad to match with ETHTOOL_A_TS_STAT_PAD (which similar to
>> other ethtool stats currently defined). Otherwise, you run into the
>> following.... mm-stat and fec-stat are good examples.
>
> I don't understand.
> Are you sure you changef the kernel to use uint, rebuilt and
> there is no ETHTOOL_A_TS_STAT_PAD anywhere, anymore?

Sorry, I was not as clear as I could have been with my last reply. I did
leave ETHTOOL_A_TS_STAT_PAD in when I tested (intentionally). I was
trying to mimic other ethtool stats implementations, but you are saying
that in general there is no need for this padding (which I agree with)
and I can remove that unnecessary offset. It'll be different from the
existing stats, but I am ok with that.

--
Thanks,

Rahul Rameshbabu