Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 vringh 1/3] remoteproc: Add support for vringh (Host vrings)

From: Rusty Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:12:13 +1030

Ohad Ben-Cohen <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Rusty Russell <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Hmm... I clearly jumped the gun, assuming consensus was already reached.
>> I have put these patches *back* into pending-rebases, and they will not
>> be merged this merge window.
>
> Thanks.
>
> What do you think about creating some virtio-level wrappers for the
> vringh handlers?
>
> I don't think we're going to stop with caif as the only vringh user,
> and it could be nice if we follow the virtio spirit of decoupling the
> drivers from the low level implementation. It sure did prove itself
> when the remoteproc use cases started showing up, and it's neat.

The problem space is a bit different.  My immediate concern is getting
vhost (and thus vhost_net/blk) to use vringh: I wanted to unify the
in-userspace and in-kernelspace ring implementations.  We don't have
that issue in virtqueue.c.

vhost is (will be) the higher abstraction for in-userspace rings,
perhaps we want an equivalent for in-kernelspace rings.  I'm happy to
look at patches, but I don't immediately see what it would look like...

Thanks,
Rusty.