Subject: Re: [PATCH net v2 2/2] net: macsec: Only require headroom/tailroom from offload implementer if .mdo_insert_tx_tag is implemented

From: Rahul Rameshbabu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 10:06:58 -0800

On Sun, 21 Jan, 2024 10:29:08 +0100 Sabrina Dubroca <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 2024-01-18, 11:18:07 -0800, Rahul Rameshbabu wrote:
>> A number of MACsec offload implementers do not implement
>> .mdo_insert_tx_tag. These implementers also do not specify the needed
>> headroom/tailroom and depend on the default in the core MACsec stack.
>
> FWIW, I had the same concern when Radu submitted these changes, and he
> answered that the extra room was only needed for SW, not for offload:
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Thanks, this conversation was helpful.

>
> I'm not really objecting to this patch, but is it fixing a bug? If so,
> it would be useful to describe the problem you're seeing in the commit
> message for this change.

It isn't. I was not sure if other drivers depended on the default
headroom/tailroom set by the MACsec stack.

>
> Does your driver require the default headroom/tailroom?
>

mlx5 does not. I am very open to dropping this patch in the series.

--
Thanks,

Rahul Rameshbabu