Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v5] net: sched: Introduce act_ctinfo action

From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 22:56:12 +0200

Kevin 'ldir' Darbyshire-Bryant <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have to call it a day. I have no idea why the patches are becoming
> corrupt and hence how to fix it, it’s probably something Apple has
> done to git, or maybe MS to my email server.

Or maybe it's just that your editor saves things with the wrong type of
line ending (if you're on a Mac)?

> Sadly I also think that the only way this patch/functionality will
> ever be acceptable is if someone else writes it, where they or their
> company can take the credit/blame.

Not sure why you would think so.

> I tried very hard to approach the process of upstream submission in a
> positive way, seeking advice & guidance in the form of RFC patches,
> many rounds later I feel they’re further away from acceptance than
> ever.

Not sure why you'd think that either; I thought you were rather close,
actually...

> Clearly it is not desired functionality/code otherwise it would have
> been written by now and I cannot face another 3 rounds of the same
> thing for act_ctinfo user space, the x_tables/nf_tables kernel helper
> to store the DSCP in the first place and the user space code to handle
> that.
>
> As a rank outsider, amateur coder I shall leave it that I’ve found the
> process completely discouraging. The professionals are of course paid
> to deal with this.

It's up to you if you want to continue, of course; but honestly, I'm not
actually sure what it is you are finding hard to "deal with"? No one has
told you "go away, this is junk"; you've gotten a few suggestions for
improvements, most of which you have already fixed. So what, exactly, is
the problem? :)

-Toke