Subject: Re: [PATCH] isdn: disable HiSax NetJet driver on microblaze arch

From: Nicolai Stange <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 14:36:11 +0200

Jean Delvare <[email-masked]> writes:
> Le Sunday 21 June 2015 à 19:59 +0200, Nicolai Stange a écrit :
>> David Miller <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> Applied, but we're long overdue for an across-the-board-available
>>> endianness Kconfig option that can flat out be used in these situations.
>>> The current way this is handled is at best, a mess.
>> 
>> Regarding the general Kconfig endianess symbol, I will do another patch
>> based on the information of
>>   git grep '_endian\.h' -- arch/
>> and supply every arch with either of CONFIG_CPU_{LITTLE,BIG}_ENDIAN if
>> lacking.
>
> Note that Chen Gang (Cc'd) attempted the same almost a year ago:
> http://patchwork.linux-mips.org/patch/7540/
> then:
> http://marc.info/?t=140958656400002&r=1&w=2
>
> The idea was great IMHO but it did not work out, and I can't remember
> why.

Thank you very much for this pointer, Jean!  I've read through these
threads and to summarize, some arch maintainers' main point against that
patchset is that (recent) drivers should generally support both, LE and
BE.

It is interesting to note that Chen Gang had already addressed the very
same issue (Hisax NetJet driver) by the far more general approach
proposed by David Miller here, namely by introducing an
"across-the-board-available endianess Kconfig option".

So unless you really want to have such an option and ping me, I will not
do another patch in the mood of Chen Gang's original one.