Subject: Re: pull-request: wireless-next-2024-01-25

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:08:59 +0200

Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:05:17 +0200 Kalle Valo wrote:
>> > I thought checkpatch would signal that or is it a sparse warning.  
>> 
>> I don't run checkpatch except for ath10k/ath11k/ath12k, too much noise.
>> I ended up adding this to my script:
>
> We run build with sparse and W=1 and then diff the number of warnings 
> to weed out the pre-existing ones, FWIW. 

So for wireless and wireless-next I now check W=1 warnings every time I
push. We are mostly warning free now but I'm not checking the linker
warnings, for example the current MODULE_DESCRIPTION() warnings.

It's really annoying, and extra work, that people enable new W=1
warnings before fixing them. Could we somehow push back on those and
require that warnings are fixed before enabling with W=1 level?

In wireless there is a significant number of sparse warnings. I have
tried the cleanup people to fix them but it seems there's no interest,
instead we get to receive pointless cleanups wasting our time. <loud sigh>

BTW the 'no new line at end of file' warning is indeed from sparse, like
Arend suspected:

drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/fwil.c:432:49: warning: no newline at end of file

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches