Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 6/7] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: add number of database to info

From: Vivien Didelot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 16:24:26 -0400

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 02:25:49PM -0400, Vivien Didelot wrote:
>> Move the number of databases to the info structure.
>
> Isn't the number of databases a property of the family?

No.

We've seen [1] for instance that 6061 and 6065 are both part of the 6065
family, but 6061 has 16 databases while 6065 has 64 databases.

> I would add a table indexed by family.

I'm not even sure every Marvell switch has a family. I think we really
want a table of supported *devices*.

To go further, with the coming feature-based logic, checking the family
might not even be that valuable.

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/3/26/155

Thanks,
Vivien