Subject: Using interface number probing for usbnet drivers before 3.6-rc1? (was: Re: [PATCH net] net: qmi_wwan: fix Gobi device probing)

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 13:19:35 +0200

David Miller <[email-masked]> writes:
> From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:26:54 +0200
>
>> Is waiting for 3.6-rc1 the best alternative, or is cherry-picking them
>> an option?
>
> I'm extremely reluctant to have a dependency on another tree.
>
> The USB tree, on the other hand, could pull the net-next tree
> in so you can continue your dependent work there.

Hello Greg,

I know I said I would be more careful about cross-tree dependencies, but
here I am again...

The context is: How should I proceed with interface number based probing
for usbnet drivers, in particular qmi_wwan which already has a few
patches in net-next?

I see two possible remaining options:

 1) you pull the net-next changes into usb-next so that I can do the
    work against usb-next now, or
 2) I wait for 3.6-rc1 and do the work against the net tree after
    3.6-rc1 is merged there

I have decided to go for option #2 unless either of you have other
preferences, as I believe that is going to cause the least work and
merge trouble for you both.

The changes are mostly device IDs, but I am also going to rip out all
the whitelist probing logic becoming redundant. This is a single driver
and pretty obvious low risk though, so I believe it is appropriate for
an -rc2.

But please let me know if I'm on the wrong track here.

Bjørn