Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] dt-bindings: net: dsa: b53: Add YAML bindings

From: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 07:45:10 +0200

On Sun Oct 11 2020, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 10/11/2020 1:32 AM, Kurt Kanzenbach wrote:
>> How should we proceed? Adding the missing compatible strings and ports
>> to the DTS files? Or adjusting the include files?
>
> The include is correct as it provides the fallback family string which 
> is what the driver will be looking for unless we do not provide a chip 
> compatible. The various DTS should be updated to contain both the chip 
> compatible and the fallback family (brcm,bcm5301x-srab) string, I will 
> update the various DTS and submit these for review later next week.

OK. It's not just the compatible strings, there are other issues as
well. You can check with `make dtbs_check DT_SCHEMA_FILES=path/to/b53.yaml'.

>
> Then we could imagine me taking this YAML change through the Broadcom 
> ARM SoC pull requests that way no new regressions are introduced.
>
> Sounds good?

Sounds like a plan. But, Rob or other device tree maintainers should
have a look at the YAML file to spot issues in there first.

Thanks,
Kurt