Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 4/4] net: dsa: set configure_vlan_while_not_filtering to true by default

From: Kurt Kanzenbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:06:28 +0200

Hi Vladimir,

On Tue Sep 08 2020, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 12:14:12PM +0200, Kurt Kanzenbach wrote:
>> On Mon Sep 07 2020, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
>> > New drivers always seem to omit setting this flag, for some reason.
>>
>> Yes, because it's not well documented, or is it? Before writing the
>> hellcreek DSA driver, I've read dsa.rst documentation to find out what
>> callback function should to what. Did I miss something?
>
> Honestly, Documentation/networking/dsa/dsa.rst is out of date by quite a
> bit. And this trend of having boolean flags in struct dsa_switch started
> after the documentation stopped being updated.

Maybe it would be good to document new flags when they're introduced :).

>
> But I didn't say it's your fault for not setting the flag, it is easy to
> miss, and that's what this patch is trying to improve.
>
>> > So let's reverse the logic: the DSA core sets it by default to true
>> > before the .setup() callback, and legacy drivers can turn it off. This
>> > way, new drivers get the new behavior by default, unless they
>> > explicitly set the flag to false, which is more obvious during review.
>>
>> Yeah, that behavior makes more sense to me. Thank you.
>
> Ok, thanks.

Is this merged? I don't see it. Do I have to set
`configure_vlan_while_not_filtering' explicitly to true for the next
hellcreek version?

Thanks,
Kurt