Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: skbuff: use _RET_IP_

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 13:08:10 +0200

Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]> writes:

>     Why not "text:%#lx" as already used in this string? It's
> equivalent to "0x%lx".

Well, I don't know the reasoning in this case, but I'd like to note that
those are not strictly equivalent.  Personally I find the formatting of 0
annoying enough to avoid %#x for any value which may be 0.  It's
especially bad if you try to line up things by adding leading zeros.

I would expect these to produce the same result, but they don't:

	printf("0x%02hhx\n", 0);
	printf("%#04hhx\n", 0);

Ending up with a 4 digit output when you expect 2 is very confusing.  It
doesn't matter that 0 is 0 in any case.  Why doesn't the same happen to
1 then?  This is just inconsistent behaviour, and I see no valid excuse
for it.

IMHO the single format character saved isn't worth this at all.  I'll
continue using 0x%x

Bjørn