Subject: Re: quic in-kernel implementation?

From: Aurélien Aptel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 18:45:09 +0200

Alexander Ahring Oder Aring <[email-masked]> writes:
> as I notice there exists several quic user space implementations, is
> there any interest or process of doing an in-kernel implementation? I
> am asking because I would like to try out quic with an in-kernel
> application protocol like DLM. Besides DLM I've heard that the SMB
> community is also interested into such implementation.

Yes SMB can work over QUIC. It would be nice if there was an in-kernel
implementation that cifs.ko could use. Many firewall block port 445
(SMB) despite the newer version of the protocol now having encryption,
signing, etc. Using QUIC (UDP port 443) would allow for more reliable
connectivity to cloud storage like azure.

There are already multiple well-tested C QUIC implementation out there
(Microsoft one for example, has a lot of extra code annotation to allow
for deep static analysis) but I'm not sure how we would go about porting
it to linux.

https://github.com/microsoft/msquic

Cheers,
-- 
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, DE
GF: Felix Imendörffer, Mary Higgins, Sri Rasiah HRB 247165 (AG München)