Subject: Re: Is this 32-bit NCM?

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:29:09 +0100

Enrico Mioso <[email-masked]> writes:

> What I suspect, is that all this mess started when Huawei introduce new 
> firmware releases that changed something in the IPV6 support.
> Bjorn - do you remember when a guy called Thomas reported us a problem about an 
> LTE huawei modem that wasn't working with huawei_cdc_ncm?
> And you then discovered the problem was originated from some changes in the 
> ordering of cdc_ncm actions; what happened then?
> Did Thomas get his modem back to working state?

yes, that bug was fixed by

commit ff0992e9036e9810e7cd45234fa32ca1e79750e2
Author: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date:   Mon Mar 17 16:25:18 2014 +0100

    net: cdc_ncm: fix control message ordering
    
    This is a context modified revert of commit 6a9612e2cb22
    ("net: cdc_ncm: remove ncm_parm field") which introduced
    a NCM specification violation, causing setup errors for
    some devices. These errors resulted in the device and
    host disagreeing about shared settings, with complete
    failure to communicate as the end result.
    
    The NCM specification require that many of the NCM specific
    control reuests are sent only while the NCM Data Interface
    is in alternate setting 0. Reverting the commit ensures that
    we follow this requirement.
    
    Fixes: 6a9612e2cb22 ("net: cdc_ncm: remove ncm_parm field")
    Reported-and-tested-by: Pasi Kärkkäinen <[email-masked]>
    Reported-by: Thomas Schäfer <[email-masked]>
    Signed-off-by: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
    Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>

Bjørn