Subject: Re: Route cache performance under stress

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:58:31 +0200

Simon Kirby <[email-masked]> writes:

> What Zebra quirks?

Zebra doesn't send BGP keepalives while updating the kernel's view of
the routing table.  If a configuration change results massive routing
table updates (e.g. changed LOCAL_PREF), it's quite likely that you
BGP peering sessions terminate because of a timeout.

Other "quirks" are just things that don't work as they should (mostly
Cisco incompatibilities, sometimes genuine bugs in route-map support
etc.).

It's not dramatic in most cases, but like any complex technology, it
takes some time to get used to.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Zebra user. 8-)

> And I wouldn't exactly call it difficult to "squeeze" performance out of
> a PC when the 7206 VXRs have a 200 MHz processor.

You missed the NPE-G1 part.

cisco 7204VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision A) with 245760K/16384K bytes of memory.
SB-1 CPU at 700Mhz, Implementation 1, Rev 0.2, 512KB L2 Cache

Probably still slow by x86 standards, and with a rather small cache,
but it's sufficient for a few kpps, I guess...