Subject: Re: [PATCHv2] ipv6: Create module parameter for use_tempaddr

From: Bjørn Mork <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 20:39:24 +0200

Paul Stewart <[email-masked]> writes:

> When ipv6 is used as a module, there is no good place to set
> the default value for use_tempaddr.  Using sysctl.conf will
> set this parameter too early -- before the module is loaded.
> To solve this, create a module parameter that will set the
> default value of use_tempaddr for all devices.

How is use_tempaddr any different from the other /proc/sys/net/ipv6/*
variables?  Do you want to add a module parameter for all of them?

Why can't you run sysctl with an ipv6-specific sysctl.conf at a time
fitting your boot sequence?  Or load the ipv6 module before sysctl is
loads the default sysctl.conf if that is what you want?  Or just set the
variables in your network configuration scripts, prior to bringing the
interfaces up?

Or do as most people do nowadays:  Forget that ipv6 can be built as a
module, and just use it builtin.  It's not like it can be unloaded
anyway, so building it as a module does not give you anything.

Bjørn