Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v7 2/2] Add tests for vxlan nolocalbypass option.

From: Vladimir Nikishkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2023 09:33:03 +0800

Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 02, 2023 at 12:25:30AM +0800, Vladimir Nikishkin wrote:
>> Add test to make sure that the localbypass option is on by default.
>> 
>> Add test to change vxlan localbypass to nolocalbypass and check
>> that packets are delivered to userspace.
>
> What do you think about this version [1]?

I think that your idea of making "nolocalbypass" applicable universally
is more clear and more straightforward than doing an exception to a
special case, as the original patch does. I had actually considered such
a change myself, and only decided against it because I wanted a patch
that changes the existing behaviour in a minimal way.

If you are happy with a more radical behaviour for "nolocalbypass", I am
all for it.

I can even imagine a line in the documentation, something along the
lines of "The use of the nolocalbypass flag makes debugging easier,
because the packets are seen on widely available userspace network
debugging tools, such as tcpdump. You might want to debug and tweak your
system using this flag, and when you are convinced that the system is
working as expected, turn it off for a performance gain."

I will re-submit this series of patches on after the 8th of May 2023.

-- 
Your sincerely,
Vladimir Nikishkin (MiEr, lockywolf)
(Laptop)
--
Fastmail.